This box searches for words in the title, reference number or description of a record
- If you type two or more words, you will get results that contain all of those words.
- Leaving the Search box blank will retrieve all the records in the catalogue.
- Use double quotation marks, eg "Manchester Store" to search for an exact phrase.
- To widen your search use 'OR', eg Salford OR Manchester, which will turn up all the records that have got either of those words.
- Narrow your search by using 'NOT' between the words. For instance typing 'Railway NOT station' would return records about railways that don't mention stations.
- To find all items dating up to a certain year, enter that year in the ‘to’ box. Years have been entered in the format YYYY, eg 1947.
- To find all items dating from a certain year onwards, enter that year in the ‘from’ box.
- If you’d like to restrict your search to a particular year, put that year in both date boxes.
- To find items from a specific time span fill in the ‘from’ and ‘to’ boxes, eg ‘from’ 1941 ‘to’ 1954.
- You can also use an approximate date using the format ‘c1980’ or search for decades, eg 1980s.
- Use the main search box to look for a specific date, eg 18 Jan 1939.
Search the whole collection by choosing 'All', or choose a theme, person or M&S brand name from our list to narrow down your search.
If you only want results that have already got an image available, tick this box.